Malta Nomad Residence Programme

Retain your current employment whilst residing in Malta

Malta Nomad Residence Permit

Malta, the smallest European Union member is an island of stability with a welcoming innovative mind-set and a proven record of economic success. Malta enjoys a stable political climate and a bi-partisan political scene that is largely convergent on issues of national and economic importance. 

The country is ideally located in the centre of the Mediterranean Sea and acts as a perfect bridge between Europe and other continents. Malta has been a member of the European Union since 2004 and of the Schengen Area since 2007. The Malta Nomad Residence Permit is an attractive residence scheme available to non-EU nationals, seeking the opportunity to relocate to Malta whilst retaining the current employment abroad. The Nomad Residence Permit is thus open to individuals who can work remotely and independent of location, using telecommunications technologies. The permit will be issued for up to one year and can be renewed upon application at the discretion of the government agency.

Country Highlights

CAPITAL CITY: VallettaLANGUAGES: Maltese & English
TOTAL AREA: 316 km²POPULATION: 441,543
NEAREST COUNTRY: Italy, 255 kmTIME ZONE: Central European Time Zone (UTC+01:00)

Legal Basis

Non-EU nationals can apply for the Nomad Residence Permit in accordance with local immigration regulations, mainly the Malta Immigration Act and the EU Visa Code.


  • Residency is approved within 1-2 months
  • No personal income tax
  • Applicant may include dependent family members
  • Ability to live in Malta whilst keeping current employment in a foreign country
  • Maltese residence card granting access to the Schengen Area without a visa
  • Robust telecoms infrastructure


  • Applicant to prove that he/she can work remotely from Malta
  • Applicant must be a non-EU National
  • Applicant is to earn a gross monthly income of €2,700
  • Applicant must buy or rent property in Malta, once approved
  • Applicant must have a health insurance policy
  • Applicant must work for an employer registered in a foreign country, or offer freelance services to clients based outside of Malta or conduct business activities for a company registered in a foreign country of which applicant is a partner or a shareholder.

Process & Timeline

Why Work With Us

Request More Information
Please send me legal and other updates
Reference Materials

Key Contacts

Dr Antoine Saliba Haig

Advocate, Malta

+356 22056446

Related Practice Groups
Related Practices